The Evolution of a Teacher

These are just some of the things that reminds me of my teaching life.
I guess it all started under the shade of a tree of our church. Under that tree, I was with youngsters of about 11-12 years old and I was teaching them their catechism. When I was in high school, I used to be a catechist in our parish. I will never forget those wonderful years of my life because I felt so happy and complete with what I am doing. During that time I felt as if I have hit the target of what I am supposed to be doing with my life. I thought that I have discovered the gift that remained hidden inside me throughout those years. I have come to the conclusion that teaching must be the right job for me.

However in those years of being a catechist, I never thought of myself as a classroom teacher. I have actually imagined myself as a teacher of a different sort, a teacher who stands in the pulpit and preaches the word of God and a teacher who celebrates the mass. I felt that I wanted to be a priest. So I decided to enter the seminary to fulfill that dream.

These were my companions during my seminary days.
Upon entering the seminary, it felt like entering a new world. It meant saying goodbye to some of my comfort zones and saying hello to new things which I am not very used to. For our seminary formation, we were required to pursue a degree in Secondary Education major in English. Honestly, I do not like English very much back in high school. In fact I kind of hate it for it seems so alien to me. I am more inclined to history or the social sciences. But something in me changed during that time. I started liking English as a language. I began a love affair with the language which led me to really aspire a career in teaching English.

After a short time in the seminary, I decided to leave. Still, I continued my pursuance of achieving a degree in education majoring in English. I've had great professors who really inspired me to be my best in this craft. I cannot thank them enough for imparting within me a very profound love for the English language.

After a couple of years, I graduated from college. I was now in search of employment. I was trying this and that, but things do not seem to work out well for me. Until one morning, the dean of college of my alma mater asked me if I wanted to work for him in the college department. I definitely responded with a resounding 'YES'.

On the first year of my teaching life, I was given the chance to teach
college students.
At my young age I had the opportunity to teach college students. It was a shuddery thought at first, for I felt inadequate, but the dean of college believed in me so I have to believe in myself also. I've had such a diverse bunch of students back then. I had the chance to teach general education courses and even specialization courses.

If I were asked what I have learned in my stint as a college teacher, I would have to say that I have learned the great importance of professionalism. Teaching cannot be taken for granted. I hold a great responsibility for my students. Therefore, I must deliver the very best that I can. For 2 years I was teaching in the college department. Along the way, I felt incomplete. There was this hollow portion in my heart that kept ringing its bells wanting something more out of life.

Out of nowhere, as I was walking along the grounds of the school, I chanced upon the principal of the high school department. He offered me a job in the high school. Within the deep recesses of my heart I knew that this was what my heart has been longing for. I responded with an even more resounding 'YES'.

When I transferred to the HS Dept., I was given the chance
to be a class adviser. 
Boy was I in for a great surprise. The job was a 100 times more difficult and it required from me tons of physical strength that at the end of the day, I felt that I am groping for breath or just holding on for dear life. I've met some of the noisiest kids and some of the weirdest. I've met some of the brightest and some of the kindest. Name it I've met the kid. But no matter how difficult that year was, I was so sure that that year was by far the best teaching experience of my life. I have learned to make myself better each and every day, for I dreamed to make my students also better every day. I've learned of mercy and patience for there were a lot of students who commit mistakes. On that year basically, I've learned the true essence of a teacher. It truly is difficult because it is very noble. On that year, I have come to realize the many sacrifices that teachers have to go through every day for their students. I have always dreaded the day that all of these great experiences will have to end.

It actually ended.  I got transferred back to the college department for some very important reasons. I had to say goodbye to my high school students. It was very painful, but I must accomplish the job expected of me in the college.
 
Teaching in the HS was by far the best experience in my teaching career.

Looking back at all of these experiences, I am so grateful for this life. I became a teacher, and my life was transformed amazingly. Even though I teach my students a lot of things, I know that my students are the ones teaching me a whole lot more. I have had a lot of smiles and tears in this profession, but they were all worth it because I know that in my profession we change a young person's life day in and day out. So looking back at the younger me under the shade of the tree, I thank him for being with the young people on that beautiful and bright sunny day.

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

5 Reasons why you should be a Bosconian

You Know You're in Don Bosco When...

Certified Mama's Boy